What/Why is SharePoint and use of it?
- SharePoint is browser based collaboration/web platform. You can access it from anywhere.
- Enterprise Content management
- Example: Document Management [Sharing/versionsing/Checkin&Checkout/Permisisions/Search/Workflow process/Recycle Bin]
- Calendar(create tasks/schedule meeting/). We can easily integrate the outlook to SharePoint.
- services( BCS/Excel service and Reporting services etc..)
- Rich browser based UI Interface( like drap/drop of files to the document library etc.. )
- Authentication and Authorization: Single Sign on etc..
- yammer integration( Its similar to Face book, Twitter but only difference is these are public social networks and Yammer is private social network).
- Mutli-Language supports( 12 hive means it supports English language)
- REST API: Through REST API, we can interact directly with SharePoint objects by using any technology that support REST web request and can be easily perform CRUD operations.
- Office 365
- Apps, Cloud model
Software and hardware boundaries:
We should have basic understanding about on SharePoint software and hardware requirements before proceeding with the SharePoint. This helps us to decide whether to go with SharePoint or not.
Migrate.net application project to SharePoint 2010/2013?
Before proceed to go with the migration, we should think about whether it really supports or not. For that it's better to have an idea about on the software/hardware boundaries. Let's say SharePoint 2010 supports .Net framework 3.5 but they have used .Net framework 4.0/4.5 framework to develop the project. in this case SharePoint won't support it and migration is not possible.
Note: SharePoint always supports backward compatibility.
Please go through the below article for the software and hardware boundaries: